High Altitude Lakes
High altitude lakes nestled in the heavens created by nature has received human attention since ancient times. Even today numerous trekkers visit these splendid lands. Here are a few beautiful lakes worth a visit:
- Manimahesh Lake: At 4080 mtrs above sea level in district Chamba (HP). Held sacred to Lord Shiva, it lies in Budhil valley. Annual Manimahesh Yatra takes place after Janamasthami, in the month of August. For detail see treks.
- Prashar Lake: Located in Mandi district (42 kms) at 2730 mtrs, held sacred to Sage Prashar. A three tiered pagoda - like temple is located by the lake.
- Chandra Tal: This beautiful lake is situated at 4300 mtrs, in Lahaul and Spiti district of H.P. This is source of river chandra. For detail see Treks.
- Suraj Tal: Located near Baralacha pass in Lahaul part of Lahaul and Spiti district at a height of 4980 mtrs. It is the source of Bhaga river & can be seen on the way to Leh.
- Nako Lake: Lies in Pooh Sub-division of Kinnaur district (HP) at 3662 mtrs. It has four budhist temples on its northern side and has a footprint like impression believed to be of Saint Padma Sambhava.
- Dashair Lake: At 4270 mtrs, it lies near Rohtang pass which connects Kullu with Lahaul and Spiti. The trek is extremely tough on a snow covered trail. For details see Treks.
- Dhankar Lake: Near Dhankar monastery in Spiti. Which is one of the important Budhist gompas of spiti. See Treks.
- Khajjiar Lake: At 1900 mtrs, located at 16 kms from Dalhousie and 25 kms from Chamba. Famous for thick, deep forests and moving island. It nears Kalatop wildlife sanctuary. See Family Destination for details.
- Kareri Lake: At 1810 mtrs, located 35 kms from Dharamshala in Kangra district (HP). Stunning surroundings and mighty Dhauladhar peaks await the trekker.
- Rewalsar Lake: At 1360 mtrs located in Mandi (24 kms from town). Sacred to Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhists. Near it lies another lake Kunt Bhyag (1750 mtrs.)
- Brighu Lake: At 4235 mtrs, this lake lies in Kullu district. Trek starts from Gulaba village 6 kms from Manali .sacred to Sage Brighu.
- Seruvalsar Lake: At 3100 mtrs, 5 kms from Jalori pass& 30 kms from Banjar sub-division of Kullu lies this picturesque lake in very deep forests.It has a temple dedicated to nags & a place of pilgrimage for the locals.
- (Shimla, Himachal, India): At 4260mtrs, this lake is located in the Chanshal range of Himalayas. It is situated in Rohru part of Shimla district. This is SOURCE of mighty river PABBAR which fed the whole Pabbar valley. The route is: Delhi-Shimla-Rohru-Chandernaun (SEE TREKS).
- Mantalai Lake (Kullu, Himachal, India): This high altitude lake is situated on the trekking route of PIN PARBATI pass connecting Kullu with Spiti valley. The trek beings at famous religious place of MANIKARAN & is 4-5 days.One can cross the pass to reach Pin Valley National Park in Spiti valley (FOR DETAILED route see TREKS).
- Chang Chenmo Lake(Ladakh,India): This is a large brackish water lake situated in the North-Western part of picturesque Ladakh of J&K State. This lake is fed by streams arising from mightly KAROKARAM RANGE.
- Lingzi Tang Lake (Ladakh,J&K,India):This is a large brackish water lake on the north-west border with Tibet. It is situated near southern range of Karokaram range of mountains.
- Tso Kar (Ladakh-J&K-India): This beautiful salt lake is situated about 150km from Leh and 75kms from Tsomo Riri. This lake is located in the AKSAI CHIN region of Ladakh.
- Shasra Lake (Uttarkashi-Uttaranchal-India): Situated at 4572mts, this splendid lake lies in the hilly state Uttaranchal. The route is Delhi-Uttarkashi-Latsera (23kms)-Phyalu (16km trek) - Kushkalyani (28km, trek) - Kyarki Khar pass-Shasra Tal (4572mts)-back. This is a very rewarding trek.
- Seven Lakes (Uttarkashi, Uttaranchal-India): At 2878mts, this cluster of seven splendidly located lakes offers a good trekking experience. The trek route is Delhi-Uttarkshi-Gangnani(43km)- Sukhitop -(19km)-Dharali (15km)-Seven lakes (5km, trek)-back (same route).
- Vasuki Tal/Lake (Chamoli,Uttaranchal-India): Situated at 4135mts, near famous hindu shrine of KEDARNATH lies this nature's marvel, Vasuki Tal.This is a splendid trek. The route upto Kedarnath (as in trek of Delhi-Kedarnath)- Vasukital(6kms,trek).Near this lake lies Painya Tal and Masar Tal (about 3km and 8km respectively).
- Suraj Kund/Lake (Pithoragarh, Uttaranchal, India): Lies near Milam glacier this place is suitable for tough trekkers. Surrounded by mighty TRISHUL (7120MTS) and other high peaks this is heaven on earth.The route is(upto Milam as in trek of MILAM GLACIER-See Treks) -Pichar Gang-Nitwal thaur(3-4days trek)- Surajkund-Milam village.
- Kedar Tal/Lake (Uttarkashi, Uttaranchal, India): At 4425mts, this splendid lake lies near famous Hindu religious place GANGOTRI. The route upto Gangotri is as in trek (DELHI-GANGOTRI SEE TREKS) Gangotri,(3048mts)-Bhojkharak(7km,trek)-Kedar tal( 7km trek) along KEDAR GANGA, a tributary of BHAGIRATHI river.
- Roopkund Lake (Chamoli, Uttaranchal, India): Situated at 4450mts this lake is known for HUMAN SKULLS & BONES found in this area. The route is-Delhi-Rudraprayag-Karanprayag(23km)-Nandprayag(20km)- Ghat(.19km)- Bedni Kund (trek)- Kanol- Bhuna- Boguabasa- Roopkund- Back (see treks)
- Hem Kund Lake (Chamoli, Uttaranchal, India): Situated at 4329mts, this lake is a famous pilgrimage site of Sikh religion. For detail see treks